June 10

Athletes and their Pre-Game Rituals

four leaf clover 

Many athletes have set rituals or habits they do before they compete in sports. These pre-game rituals are important to create feelings of familiarity, and a sense of control. I read once that Derek Jeter likes get to the ballpark early…(like 4 1/2 hours early) to stretch and listen to R&B music. Elise Britt(All American Field Hockey Player from Skidmore) told us she has to have Taco’s the night before a game. She also talked about a special shirt she had to wear…

“My biggest superstition, and this is one I freak out if I don’t do… I have to wear my warm up shirt.  I wore the same warm-up shirt for every collegiate game I ever played in.  I wouldn’t take it off until I was stepping on the field to play.”      

Do you have a pre- game ritual?

Do you have a good luck charm?

Posted June 10, 2010 by pefairy in category Sports

7 thoughts on “Athletes and their Pre-Game Rituals

1. Nicole P

Before swim meets I bounce around a lot. Our whole team also does psych cheers and we bite each others cards for our spot and time for good luck. I also wear a bracelet to practice and meets for good luck.

2. Nicole P

Today in lunch we watched the FIFA World Cup on the projecter. It was awesome! Everyone was yelling and just freaking out, it was sooo cool!

3. pefairy (Post author)

Hey Nicole,
    I traveled to Rome, Italy one summer. The night before we got there, the opening ceremonies were held for the World Cup. There were people every where. The town was electric with excitement! Soccer is HUGE in Europe!

4. janaye

I always strech before I play a sport that is my pre-game ritual. I don’t think I have a good luck charm but I may have one and not know it.