June 1

Stay Hydrated When You’re Playing Outside

With all this warm and sometimes HOT weather…are you drinking enough water/fluids??

Research shows that your heart rate increases eight beats per minute for every liter of sweat lost during exercise.   This increased heart rate, combined with inefficient cooling, causes your temperature to elevate. This not only compromises performance, but can lead to heat illness as well.

Most experts recommend drinking at least a cup (four to 10 ounces) of water every 15 minutes of exercise.  That gives your body the fluid to “sweat out” and thus cool off your body.

What do you usually bring to drink when you play sports?

Tags:

Posted June 1, 2010 by pefairy in category Safety

8 thoughts on “Stay Hydrated When You’re Playing Outside

1. Mrs. Neddo

I agree. I get terrible headaches when I don’ t have enough water. Cramps in my feet too. Go Figure!
    What about sports drinks? My son is so jealous of all the kids drinking a Gatorade at his baseball games. We only drink water and hydrate the day before. You??

2. pefairy (Post author)

My son only drinks water at his baseball games. That is what he prefers. I sometimes pack some Gatorade G2. Grace seems to like that at her lacrosse games.

Did you know that G2 was the top new food product of 2008, generating the sales of $159.1 million !!

3. carly g

When I go to my soccer games, my dad fills my water bottle up all the way, and then freezes it half way.

4. kayla S

hey i norrmally bring a water bottle its the best thing for your body and i love water!

5. carlye

when i go to softball i usually bring either 2 water bottles or 1 really big jug of water 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

6. kerry m

well when i go to soccer, i usually bring a tiny cooler with either 4 or 5 waters in it, ( just in case!!!!!!)

7. Annz

Every day when I went to school I brought two waters and during any summer camps last year (they were all sports camps) I brought at least 4!